Friday, January 6, 2012

Here We Go

I've resisted for many, many years to start a blog. Why do people write blogs? Blogs to me seemed rather egocentric as if the author is projecting "Hey, listen to me; I'm so awesome that I have something fantastic to say!" I'm not being critical, just stating the fact that authors of blogs obviously feel that they have something important or interesting to share. The authors of blogs that I follow usually DO have something interesting to say, and are often very good, entertaining writers. I follow upwards of 50 or so blogs, some are for professional purposes, others belong to friends, or personal interests.

I didn't want to start a blog for a long time because I didn't really think I had anything interesting to say or share. I'm already on Twitter and Facebook. I use Twitter mostly in my professional life, and tweet when I have something I want to share with the rest of my professional community (largely focusing on legal technology). I don't tweet every day and often times not every week either. I use Facebook to keep up with friends and family and will share items there that interest me personally or what may be happening in my life at the time.

So, why a blog? Why now? My kids are all grown and either married or in college, so I have more free time on my hands than in previous years. Those that know me know that I LOVE to cook. I've been thinking about writing a blog about cooking in the modern age, and what that means to me. But I don't want to limit my blog postings to just cooking, because I think about all kinds of things from time to time. Therefore, I've decided to start a blog where I can share stuff I've been thinking about, and if anyone actually reads it, perhaps I'll get back others' thoughts on the same topics. One of the things I like about Facebook is being able to start a discussion and have different people chime in their thoughts. I respect others' opinions even when it doesn't match my own. I often learn more from differing opinions. But I don't want to limit my discussions to just my Facebook friends, thus the reason for a blog.

I hope you find something interesting here. I can't guarantee how often I will post. Just when I feel like I have something interesting to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment